Identify. Embrace. Promote.
The Lobbying and Advocacy Handbook for Nonprofit Organizations defines Advocacy as: “Identifying, embracing, and promoting a cause; any attempt to shape public opinion, and promote the interests of your communiy.”
At LiteracyCNY, we encourage our volunteers, staff, students and community partners to advocate on behalf of our program and adult literacy students in our community. Advocacy inludes:
- Letting concerned citizens know about the issue of adult literacy in our community
- Raising awareness about LiteracyCNY
- Helping adult literacy students to access instruction
- Speaking out through the local media
- Communicating with local, state, and federal elected officials